Amazing! It's running very smooth on RTX 2070.
A downloadable experience for Windows and macOS
WanderWoods is a chill forest exploration. Take a relaxing walk, explore deep into the brush, or ride a horse down the many paths of this procedurally generated forest.
During the COVID pandemic of 2020 I spent a lot of time walking my dogs in the forest near my house. I saw it change at different hours of the day and throughout the seasons. There was comfort in walking familiar paths, excitement in finding new ones. It was an experience I knew I had to do something with. WanderWoods is my humble attempt at replicating that.
This first version is fairly basic, but I have some fun ideas for things to add over time. Let me know in the comments what you would love to see added.
Finally, a disclaimer: this thing probably requires a pretty beefy computer, with the many many trees and grass it renders. There's a low quality graphics options that I hope helps a little bit, but I'll see if I can optimize it further in the future.
NEW v0.3 - "Come rain come shine"
- Added interactive day/night cycle
- Added different weather types
- Added UI to change time and weather
- Added smartphone with a basic map
- Added footstep sounds
- MacOS build
Known issue: shadows flicker noticably when time progresses automatically, so I've disabled that feature for this release. You can still set the time manually via the UI.
- Added a fourth weather preset, "Dawn", and tweaked the others
- Tweaked grass and bushes placements
- Added fences around the world edges
- Improved terrain generation, resulting in cleaner and thinner paths
- Improved default weather preset visuals
- Improved tree rendering performance
- Tweaked responsiveness of turning while on horseback
- Fixed blurry control icons
- Added a climbable watchtower (take four right turns from the starting location)
- Improved tree draw distance performance
- Improved player height on foot and on horse
- Better placement of bushes
- Improved path texture
- Increased forest size by x8
- Tweaked vegetation placement and performance
- Paths can be wilder with more growth overlapping
- Initial public release.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Come rain come shineFeb 23, 2021
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
A very well made experience, I really enjoy it. The different weather conditions are interesting and very atmospheric. There are only two things I'd change a bit: A bit more bushes and density and an optical difference between the ground in the open and in the woods (fallen leaves, broken twigs, etc., an overall brown color). But that's only my two-cents. I'm eager to see more of your work!
Thanks for checking it out, and I agree! I’m still trying to get to that really dense forest vibe with branches and plants and moss etc, but performance degrades with every new type of foliage I add, so it’s a balance between optimizing and adding new stuff, but I keep trying!
lovely surprise to see this from you 😊
Hi, I've been recording some footage of the game :D and just wanted to share some feedback with you :) hopefully it's useful to you.-The main idea and the visuals are very good and work great :)
-I really loved the 2nd preset for the weather, I don't know if this idea could be hard to implement, but having an small menu to control the weather with some bars to regulate rain/hour/wind/etc. could be awesome in order to make custom presets.
-I've seen you are making the game bigger, when you reach a length that you consider enough you could add some water around the map making the limits of it make sense.
-Adding some relaxing background music could work very well.
-Adding some structures that look abandoned could make exploration quite awesome.
For it's current state the game feels awesome :) and it is quite polished :D.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to play and share your thoughts. I was thinking the same things, I definitely want to expand on the weather, add water, structures and little challenges for exploring. Hopefully soon!